Saturday, August 8, 2015

Another Road Trip

I'd planned another trip up to the Carolina Smoky Mountains later this year but the weather has been so terrible here in West Central Florida that I'm moving it up. We get a lot of rain in the summer, but this year seems to be the worst in a long time with lots of flooding.


The fast route up to the Carolinas runs through Atlanta, Georgia, but I honestly hate that route. This time, I'll be shooting a little to the east and making my first day over to Savannah, Georgia. From there I'll run up to Walhalla, South Carolina and take Moonshiner 28 up to the Deals Gap Resort. 


Moonshiner 28 runs right into the Tail of the Dragon and is fairly close to the Cherohalla.



Hopefully, I'll be staying in the Oak Park Inn in Waynesville if they have a room; haven't checked yet. I like Waynesville because it's so central to all the great roads in the Smokys. 

One area that I didn't get to on my last trip was Little Switzerland, home to the famous Diamond Back Loop. Little Switzerland is east of Waynesville and north-east to Asheville, North Carolina. I plan on shooting over to the Diamond Back on the Blue Ridge Parkway. That'll make for a long day of riding.


Again, not wanting to mess with I-75 Southbound, after the Carolinas I'm planning to make a run over to Leeds, Alabama (near Birmingham) and visit the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum. There's actually a great vintage motorcycle event there coming up in October that I'll probably be heading back for. The museum will take half a day and then I'll work my way back down to Marianna/Tallahassee and on home. Should be a great trip! Hope the weather clears up before I get back!

Including side trips and loops, this trip should run just over 2,000 miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment