Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Ozello Trail

I mapped out a 190 mile route on Monday to test my new TomTom Rider SatNav. Included in this route were the notorious Gobbler (north of Floral City) and the Ozello Trail (south of Crystal River). These roads could be characterized as two of the best motorcycling roads in Florida.

In particular, the Ozello Trail makes for quite an interesting ride. It's only 9 miles long (18 miles in and out as there's no outlet), but tracks well out into what's called the Saint Martins Aquatic Preserve. Essentially, the whole area is a marshland that extends out into the Gulf of Mexico. Here's a map that places the trail.


Unlike many of the hard right/left turn roads that we call twisty roads, the Ozello Trail is sweeper after sweeper from beginning to end. Since you have to exit the same way you entered the marsh, you can enjoy the scenery on the way out. Here are some photos that I took:









If you make this short ride, try and time it around lunch. There's a great little restaurant near the end of the trail called Pecks Old Port Cove that I highly recommend. I couldn't make it on Monday, but that's just a reason to go back.







There you go. Until my next adventure.



_____________________________________________
In the introduction, I mentioned the Gobbler, but didn't discuss it in any detail. Click ( Gobbler Loop ) for a link to the map that I posted on Best Biking Roads. It's a pretty curvy road that's going to keep you on your toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment