Friday, September 25, 2015

Minor Luggage Casualty

In many photos I've posted on this blog you may note that I use a soft tail roll bag. I've chosen a roll bag over a top box because it seems much more simple to use. Normally, the roll bag contains everything that I need to take into a hotel room. That way I can leave the side cases securely on the motorcycle. Much more convenient.


This particular roll bag is a MotoCentric MotoTrek Roll Bag (Part No. 8601-102). The bag is made of vinyl and is 33 liters in size. It also has integrated bungee cords that make it convenient to strap/unstrap it to the tail rack. It's a great bag and I've had it for at least six or seven years. It sure has taken a beating; in fact, all the zipper tabs have long broken off, but no rips thankfully.

The thing about this bag is that it isn't waterproof, though. However, it did come with a waterproof cover. Kind of a pain, but I've learned to live with it.


Anyway, upon return from my Keys/Everglades trip I noticed that the cover had taken a turn for the worst, ripped at its rotting seams and was flapping in the wind. Bummer. You really get attached to these things that you've used for a long time. I actually used this very bag on a 12,500 mile trip up to Prudoe Bay, Alaska and back.


I thought it was going to be a lost cause and I'd have to replace the tail bag altogether ... and before the Barber trip coming up in two short weeks. Then good 'ole Motorcycle Superstore came through, selling Replacement Covers for only $4.99 (plus $6.99 shipping).


Woo hoo! My Motocentric Roll bag has new life. The moral of this story is don't give up too quick on these things.

_______________________

Awe Snap! The new roll bag cover blew off somewhere on my way out of Florida on my recent Fall Road Trip. Honestly!

No comments:

Post a Comment